Friday 11 November 2011

Further development of Cover design

In order to start improving the cover I started by deconstructing the design and repositioning objects from the start. I started with the logo, I knew from experimenting with size and position that the style of the logo works best when centered in the frame. It provides balance to the design with everything else appearing in relation to the logo. This would be the starting point.

I repositioned the gramophone but removed all the redundant elements so that what is left is a simpler, cleaner image of a gramophone which retains is iconic feature (the large speaker). By positioning it to the right of the logo, the logo almost takes on the job of the gramophone box. This links the two designs together and the gramophone not only leads off from the band name but, in a way, becomes an extension of the logo itself.

I then redesigned the image of the bird in order to make it more consistent with the overall style of the cover. This illustration is more stylized and features a simpler colour palette. I chose the main colours (blue and white) to signify its a blue jay to the viewer. I then positioned it to appear to be flying out of the gramophone like my previous idea. Already I could see the design improving as better consistency meant the objects worked together rather than floating around the page.

I'd already decided that the style of the rainbows were a problem. Too harsh and overbearing. I decided to re-draw the swirls using a simple solid colour floral brush. I wanted them to be simpler, cleaner more subtle as this was the only way I was going to be able to include all these elements in a way that way balanced and visually appealling to the eye.

I took care in adding colour to the swirls. I chose darker, off-colour shades in order to tone down the appearance slightly whilst still giving a sense of vibrancy. I also made each swirl a single colour instead of making every one a multicoloured rainbow. Again this just makes the image less harsh and easier to look at. I feel it is a massive improvement.

I changed the textured background as I felt it looked too grim and I wanted something that gave a warmer feel. For this design I used a different 'torn paper' texture I found in an image search. I like this background more because of its subtly. The texture is visible but doesn't clash with the solid colours and the crisp outlines of the illustrations. The yellow border was also added as a nod to classic 50s movie posters that featured this jagged style of border. I felt the yellow added a nice upbeat feel to the design and complimented the cream coloured background.

In an attempt add a touch more energy to the design I decided to have the swirls coming out of the gramophone instead, moving them in and increase the size slightly. I also chose to have three birds flying out of the frame to signify the three "blue jays" of the band. I altered their size and shades of blue to add a bit of variety and suggest differences in personality. I feel this has made the design look less empty and improved the balance slightly but without compromising the cleaner aesthetic.

Overall I'm much happier with this design then any previous versions. Everything in the design leads off from one other and the design looked more unified and consistent because of it. This is also beneficial for the viewer as the eye is guided around the picture from the title outwards to each design element (and in-turn everything leads back to the band name). This visually suggests that the band itself is full of energy and everything associated with the imagery that leads off of it. I will propose this design to my client as the finished piece and see what they say. It may turn out that further adjustment is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment